Friday, February 21, 2014

Suffer Better- Vaquero Style 2014

As the above photo may indicate, Navidad vino temprano this year. No doubt, Hardrock 2014 is the main focus for my season this year. I have run it twice before, both times I was overwhelmed by the vastness of the San Juan's and the altitude. Even living at 6k and training at altitudes didn't prepare me for what the course had to dish out. So now I get a mulligan. A do-over. A third chance to perform well on the loop of loops starting and ending in Silverton. The field is stellar, the course burly, and I'll be moving to the 40+ age group. What does that mean? Not much, I'll just be older than I was last time I ran the course- which is better than the alternatives. I'm looking into getting an altitude tent and torturing my quads every chance I get to be ready for this monster. No guarantees that the lottery gods will ever smile on me again. To prepare me for this there will hopefully be a lot of adventuring involved. Our trip to Andorra last year gave me a traveling itch and hopefully I have the opportunity to scratch it. Early/late race plans are pending some of these possible ventures. My "other" little project next fall is a double Bear 100. I hatched this plan after my third finish and first 100 win in 2008 thinking that I could run it every year and do a "double" on my 40th for an even 10. Well, real life has been in the way and I only made it back to the race once-but the ideas has stuck. Yes it scares, me. Yes there will be some carnage but there is a part of me that is intrigued with the "strategery" that this will take to pull it off. The first event of the season will be on March 1st. I will be joining Jared Campbell and friends to raise money for Breath Utah via his RUFA. Come join us, make a donation-every little bit counts! Thanks in advance to those who help make these adventures possible. My family, Patagonia, Black Diamond, First Endurance, and Ultraspire. Time to saddle up and make some memories!

No comments: